Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Love that Grill

We've been enjoying our panini grill ever since Christmas. It's great for grilling a couple of chicken breasts for a Chicken Caesar or Cobb salad and we've made all sorts of sandwiches with it. Here's a recipe for one I tried last night. I'm a sucker for a good Monte Cristo sandwich so when I saw this recipe I cut it out and promptly forgot about it. I ran across it again the other day and decided to try it. Although it doesn't say to use a panini grill, I thought it would work well, and I was right.

Monte Cristo Sandwich
Blend together 1 beaten egg, 1 Tbsp milk, dashes of pepper and salt. (For four sandwiches, 2 eggs was just sufficient).
Mix 1 Tbsp soft butter and 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard (I didn't use quite that much mustard). Spread mixture on one side of 2 slices of 1" thick French bread.
Arrange on buttered side of one bread slice: 2 thin slices of smoked turkey, 1 Tbsp thinly sliced shallot or red onion (we skipped this), 2 thin slices Swiss cheese, and 2 thin slices smoked ham.
Cover with second bread slice, buttered side down.
Dip sandwich in egg mixture, covering completely. Fry in 1 Tbsp butter on both sides until brown. Place in 350 degree oven for 3 minutes. Remove. cut diagonally. Serve with sour cream and jam, on the side.
This is what I did: I brushed my grill with olive oil, put four sandwiches in and put the lid down. In three or four minutes they were done and delicious. No need to use the oven.

2 comments:

Mary said...

That sounds yummy, Alison. But I guess I'll have to use the oven.

Christi said...

Sounds good. I thought about trying a monte cristo but wondered if the egg would cook all the way. Knowing you, it must have :-)