Thursday, December 15, 2011

Grandma's Christmas Cake

A few days ago, something got me thinking about a Christmas cake that Grandma used to make. Does anyone else remember the cake with orange slices (the gum drop kind) in it? I did a bit of digging and found this recipe of Grandma's. It doesn't have the orange slices listed in the original recipe, but I think this was the cake she put them in. I made it for Mom and Dad as part of their Christmas present and asked them to tell me if it was as good as I remembered. They liked it, and so I'm passing it on to the rest of you. I've added a few directions for the icing that Grandma didn't have.

Note: I substitued the same amount of orange slices snipped into pieces for the candied fruit.

Christmas Cake
1 8-oz pkg cream cheese
1 cup margarine (I suppose butter could also be used)
1-1/2 tsp vanilla
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1-1/2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2-1/4 cups flour
1 cup mixed candied fruit, ground (orange slices, snipped)
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
Blend cream cheese, margarine, sugar and vanilla. Beat in eggs one at a time. Sift dry ingredients and beat into creamed mixture. Add fruit and nuts and mix well. Bake in a well-greased tube or Bundt pan at 325 degrees for 1 hours. Let cool. Pipe on icing.

Icing
2 cups powdered sugar
2 Tbsp margarine, softened
1-2 Tbsp cream
1/2 tsp almond extract
Beat together until smooth. Fill a gallon ziplock bag with icing, cut off a bit of the corner, and pipe icing over cake. Sprinkle with colored sugar, if desired.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Yes! The cake was so good we slicked it up in two days, just Merrill and I. It definitely is a Keeper. (We did cut a chunk out for Ann)