Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Irish Soda Bread


Whenever I think of Irish Soda Bread I also think of Marilee becaue she was the one to introduce me to it. I pulled this recipe out of my box and I'm not sure if it's Marilee's or not, but it's a good one. We had this for St. Patrick's day along with green eggs, green salad and pickles. Is there a theme here?

Irish Soda Bread
4 cups whole wheat flour
1-1/2 tsp salt
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp soda
1/4 cup brown sugar or honey
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup butter or margarine
2 cups buttermilk
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine dry ingredients. Cut in butter or margarine. Stir in buttermilk to make a stiff dough. Knead at least ten times. Form into an eight or nine-inch round and place on a greased cookie sheet or stone. Score almost through with a floured knife to mark quarters.
Bake for 35-40 minutes. While still hot, brush with melted butter, if desired.


Warm bread with homemade strawberry jam. Want a bite?

1 comment:

Christi said...

Thanks. I tried one with 4 ingredients that I found on Pinterest and it was terrible. I think of Marilee too.