Monday, June 2, 2014

Oatmeal Cake with Caramel Coconut Glaze

Hello Family! I was thinking the other day that maybe we should do another blog post challenge! What do you think? How about we all start by posting a new recipe you have tried and liked recently. This one is from The Food Nanny. I tried in on a whim on a Sunday afternoon and just happened to have all the ingredients in my cupboard.
So this is a test to see if anyone is paying attention. If you all post a recipe, I will know you are up for another blogging challenge. Don't worry, it won't be anything difficult.
I love you all!


Oatmeal Cake with Caramel Coconut Glaze


1 1/2 cups water
1 cup quick cooking or old fashioned rolled oats
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
Caramel Coconut Glaze (see below)


Boil the water in a small saucepan. Stir in oats. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13-inch baking pan.
Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a small bowl. Set aside.
Beat the butter, sugar and brown sugar in a large bowl. Add vanilla and eggs and beat well. Stir in the oats mixture. Stir in the dry ingredients and mix well.
Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake 35* minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Mix the glaze and spread it on the warm cake. Serve warm (yum!) or at room temperature.


Glaze
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 Tbs milk
3/4 cup coconut
3/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, optional


Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Add the brown sugar and milk. Bring to a boil; boil for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and add the coconut and nuts, if using.


*The original recipe states 45-55 minutes but I almost burned the cake the time I made it. It had been in about 40 minutes and was quite brown on top so the time stated above may or may not need to be adjusted.

3 comments:

Mary said...

This cake is one I used to make early on in my married life and I really liked it. However, I haven't made it for years--don't even know where the recipe went. Glad to have it back.

Alison said...

I remember this cake, I think I have a recipe in my box.
I'm up for a challenge. Seems like we need something to get us going again.

Alison said...

I looked at the recipe in my box. It's slightly different from this one, more butter and no spices (it also had an egg in the topping Weird.) That one said to bake for 35 minutes.