Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Kennedy Turns 11: A Magical Birthday Party

Ever since Kennedy and I read "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" when she was in kindergarten, I have dreamed of having a Harry Potter-themed party for her 11th birthday.

We started off by inviting each friend via owl. The invitations were in Hogwarts acceptance-style. When each child arrived at the party, they were given a wand. There is a great tutorial online that shows how to make personalized wands out of paper, glue and paint. I added a few embellishments that I already had on hand.


After each "student" acquired a wand, they proceeded to Platform 9 3/4. I sponged "bricks" onto some white fabric and cut a slit down the middle so they could walk through into our home.

Once all the guests had arrived, we went on adventure in the Forbidden Forest where they had their O.W.L exams. I had stations set up throughout the forest, scenes from Harry Potter, and quizzed them on their Harry Potter knowledge. 
The Unicorn-slaying Voldemort from "The Sorcerer's Stone"


The "Demenor's Kiss"
Dementor



Aragog and family
Various Potions, including a jar with a bezoar
The Penseive, complete with a glowing potion made from a highlighter and water
More potion ingredients

I didn't get a picture of it, but we had a real sorting hat that we used to sort all the girls into their houses. Funny, no one ended up in Slytherin.



The Great Hall, complete with Hermione and Harry

The Feast
Hedwig made an appearance to deliver Kennedy's birthday present during the feast: an iPod touch!
Hedwig the cupcake cake

The girls all knew their Harry Potter. After the exams and feast they watched "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban". When the parents came to pick up their child I gave the party guests a chocolate frog to take home. I think the girls had fun. I know I did!


2 comments:

Mary said...

Christi, those are awesome props you had. You were very creative and precise in your planning. I especially liked the wands. Good job!

Alison said...

A birthday party to remember.