Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Slo-Mo Lowe

Last night, I played basketball at the church. Age wise, I was the outlier. The rest of the players were in their 20's to mid 30's. My team kept winning, so I kept playing. Toward the end of the evening, I reeled off one of my classic post moves. Player one shouted, WOW, I would like to see that move in slow motion. Player two countered, "that move was in slow motion". I had to agree. Looking back, there were several of my post moves that qualified as slow motion highlights. Unfortunately, slow motion cameras were not necessary!!

Still on the topic of basketball, the high school coaches have challenged the players to shoot 20,000 shots before the season begins. Last weekend, Jared and I went to the Rec center and church several times and he was able to knock off 1,000 from the goal. After one of the sessions, I challenged Jared to a game of one on one. He declined. His reasoning, "Dad, you're falling apart. I don't want to hurt you." I do have several ailments, Plantar Fasciitis being the one that is most visible (slight limp on right foot). I assured him I was OK and I was perfectly capable of playing a quick game of one on one. I prevailed, we played. Jared was surprised at my glee after shooting each of my first three shots. No, they didn't go in. The reason for my excitement - Jared didn't block the shots. Jared won by the score of 5 to 2. I was just grateful I scored two baskets.

Final basketball paragraph. Jared is playing in a fall league. He had three games last Saturday. His team won two of three. Jared played well in all three games, but the final game was his best. He scored 21 points, blocked and altered many shots and frequently swept the boards. Jared is fun to watch.

Not much else to report other than I won a pair of Dallas Cowboy tickets. I asked for the Thanksgiving game, and it looks like I will get them. That should be fun. I'll take Jared with me.

3 comments:

Mary said...

Your basketball escapades were fun to read about. Keep us posted on Jared's progress. It's the next best thing to being there.

Alison said...

I agree with Mom's comments. I miss the days of watching my son do sports, not basketball as much as track, though. That was only thirty seconds of hand-wrenching nervousness as opposed to an hour.

Lyssa said...

The Cowboys game on Thanksgiving?! Without ME?!?! Wow I am utterly depressed... you better make it up to me!