Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Corn Bread

We had a stake relief society activity last week that was really fun. Some of you may have heard of The Food Nanny . She has a program on BYU TV. She is a cute little lady. I was really excited to see her in action on Saturday. I had my friend who's in the stake RS presidency save me a front row seat. When I got to the church my friend was on the stage helping her set up. I asked my friend where my seat was then I was able to talk to the Food Nanny. I told her I had made her cornbread for dinner and that I liked it better than the recipe I have been using for years. She got really excited about that. She asked me where I was from and I told her Beaver. She then said that she was born in Cedar City. Then she asked me if I had known April Yardley. I told her yes that April was my drill team advisor. It was really fun to make that connection. I didn't get much more time to talk to her.
I know you have all had my cornbread and have the recipe. Here is Food Nanny's recipe. I liked it better because it made a smaller batch for my smaller family and it uses some canola oil instead of so much butter. I thought it was similar but maybe a bit more moist.

Northern-Style Cornbread
9 Servings

1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons flour 1 1/4 cups milk
2/3 cup sugar 2 eggs
1/2 cup cornmeal 1/3 cup canola oil
1 Tbs baking powder 3 1/2 Tbs butter, melted
1/2 tsp salt

Butter and Honey

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8x8-inch baking pan.
2. Combine the flour, sugar, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl
3. In a small bowl, combine the milk, eggs, oil and butter and mix well. Add to the flour mixture and stir just until blended. Do not over mix.
4. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35 minutes. The corn bread is done when the edges are lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Serve with honey butter.

No comments: