Friday, September 2, 2011

New School Year

Our ward goes through changes every summer. We watch families move out who are finished with school or who are leaving for the summer for internships. Our numbers go down and then gradually new families move in to replace the ones who left and then the summer interns return. This summer we had a much greater influx than usual. Since May we've had 30 new families move into our ward! Being gone the whole month of July put us behind on getting to know some of these people. Chris invited all the new families to our home for desserts and appetizers. I spent the whole week baking. When I finished what I originally planned, I decided that wasn't enough and baked some more. Of the 30 new families, 22 showed up! We had just enough food. I meant to take a picture of the spread but people were already starting to come before I had it all out. Here is what we had:

Peanut Butter Cookies
Glazed Lemon Bars
Pecan Pie Bars
White Chocolate Decadence Bars (these were my favorite)



Chocolate Dipped Sugar Cookies (from Our Best Bites Cookbook)
Chocolate Turtle Candies (from Our Best Bites Cookbook)
Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Cheesecake Pops
Cheesecake Filled Brownie Cups
Butterscotch Chocolate Chippers
Meatballs
Puff Pastry bites
Roasted Red Pepper Dip(from Our Best Bites Cookbook) and crackers
Homemade Salsa and chips

Fruit




Since I don't have pictures to show you of all the yummy food, here are some pictures of Kennedy's and Tristan's first day of school.

4 comments:

Mary said...

Wow! What a feast you produced for your new families. I wish I could have been there. I enjoyed the pictures of my cute little grandchildren.

Alison said...

The kids are darling and the food sounds nummy, but how could you list all that without giving us more links or actual recipes? Did you make it all or did you buy some stuff?

Christi said...

I made it all except the puff pastries which came from Target. The meatballs were the frozen kind, warmed with a sauce made of chili sauce and grape jelly. The butterscotch chippers were the recipe with the ground up oatmeal with half chocolate and half butterscotch chips and pecans. The cheesecake pops came from a food blog, I will see if I can find the link and send it to you. And the PB cookies were just plain old cookies I have had forever. I can send you the recipe if you want. Oh and the salsa was the one from the shop in Beaver.

Christi said...

And the brownie bites: I mixed up a box mix of brownies and baked them in my mini muffin tin. After they were cooled I piped in some of the Philladelphia cheesecake filling you can buy in a big tub. Then I drizzled them with melted dark chocolate because I had some leftover from dipping something else. You could also top them with strawberry slices too.