Friday, June 1, 2012

Truth Hidden

This is a paper Mandy wrote for school. She was asked to write a vignette about a topic based on the novel, "A House on Mango Street" by: Sandra Cisneros. She writes a lot about the worlds problems. Death, poverty, woman abuse, etc. This is what she wrote. 



Truth Hidden

            I will never know her. Not in this life anyway. I don’t know how old I was when I found out. It’s just one of those things you can’t exactly tell a little girl like I was. I had to find out on my own.
I was looking through my baby albums. As I was putting my album back, something caught my eye. A name. One I wasn’t familiar with. One I’ve never heard before, “Melinda.” I pulled the album down, only to reveal a sister I’d never known. The pictures, grotesque and vivid images, brought tears to my eyes, the ones that you can’t exactly hold back. She would’ve been older than me, older than all of us.
I know there’s a reason this happened, a reason I’ll probably learn later on. If she had survived I wouldn’t have been born. Maybe that’s the reason. I don’t know. My parents wanted 4 kids. I would’ve made 5.
            Does the truth hurt? Sure. But not the offended hurt. The sadness hurt.
           
But I’ll make it.

6 comments:

woodshopron said...

Made me cry.

Alison said...

Me too.

Lyssa said...

Me three

Lyssa said...

Me three

Christi said...

Me four and Chris five. Amanda, that was beautiful. Interesting thing, that is how I have felt about my brother, Michael. That if he gave up his place for me. That's why we gave Tristan his name for a middle name. Oh, these siblings we will get to know some day!

Tyff said...

Me six. Amanda is so talented. This is really beautiful.