Thursday, April 3, 2008

Promotion

Years ago, Uncle John saw that I had about two months of down time before I was scheduled to enter the mission field. Knowing I could use a little extra cash, he hired me to work on his crew. The job was "up North", close to Springville. My job was to act as Gary's gopher. The official title was "Grunt". Gary had the prestigious job of climbing poles. I did the dirty work on the ground. Steve, go get this. Steve, go get that. Drive the truck here. Drive the truck there. If memory serves me well, I think I was a pretty good grunt. Fast forward 30 years.
In August, Verizon hourly employees will most likely go on strike. The chasm between the union and management is very wide. To prepare for a possible strike, management employees have been issued assignments for strike duty. My assignment...Installation and Maintenance Tech. Translation, I get to be the one climbing poles. That's right. It three weeks, I will go to a three day "Pole Climbing" class. In June, I will take a 7 day Installation and Maintenance course.
I would have never imagined 30 years ago it would take me 30 full years before I earned a promotion to climb poles. Uncle John wound be proud!

2 comments:

Mary said...

When you climb those poles, be sure to tighten up your safety belt. You never were good at climbing poles. This is your mother speaking!!!!

Alison said...

Congrats on the promotion to head monkey, er, pole climber.