Monday, May 26, 2008

The annual pancake fest

We pulled it off again. This year we served 53 friends and neighbors. That took 14 times the buttermilk pancake recipe, two pans of oven omelette, 96 link sausages, one half gallon of whipping cream (with some left over) and 8 pounds of strawberries. New items this year: chcolate milk, one gallon devoured, and holiday syrup, which earned raves from those who tried it.
I thought I'd include the details so you'd know if you ever tried it yourself and so I'll know next year when I'm trying to remember how many times to do the recipe.
We had a few mishaps, which began the night before when Jeff realized the garbage disposal doesn't do well with 36 egss shells. We ended up with a clogged sink. Then, because water was spurting out the side of the disposal, he discovered a crack in the casing. Looks like we'll be getting a new one.
We awoke this morning to find that contrary to what we thought, the sink had not been unclogged all the way the night before. The dishwasher hadn't drained properly. Jeff had to bail it out and plunge the clog out of the sink, all while we were trying to get breakfast ready. Then the microwave suddenly died. Also, it was pouring rain, so our spillover seating--patio and picnic table--was unusable.
Despite all that, we ended up having a great time. Also, the food was yummy. Here's the oven omelette recipe for your own enjoyment.

Oven Omelette
1/4 cup utter or margarine
1-1/2 doz eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 cup milk
1 tsp salt
6 oz grated cheese
1 lb sausage or 8 slices bacon or 1/2 lb ham, diced

Preaheat oven to 325. In a 9 x 13 pan, melt butter. Beat eggs, add sour cream, milk and salt. Stir in cheese, and bacon or ham. If using sausage, arrange evenly after pouring mixture into pan. Cook in oven 40-45 minutes. Serve warm. Makes 12 servings.

1 comment:

Christi said...

You forgot to post how many pans/griddles you used to make the pancakes.
I always find a way to carry on the tradition in my own small way. This year it was with my visiting teaching brunch. My companion and I take turns hosting our teachees for brunch/lunch. I hosted yesterday with pancakes, strawberries and whipped cream, sausage patties and scrambled eggs. I only had one griddle and spent most of the time flipping pancakes. . .it can only hold 4 pancakes. But, I didn't have 50-some people here either, only 3 other adults and about 10 kids. The pancakes for the kids alone kept me quite busy. Maybe I will try your oven omelette next time. Sounds good.