Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Life in Cedar



On May 8th, I went into surgery to get my tonsils out. That same day, and about the same time, our beloved dog Shelby was at the vet being put down. This is a beautiful picture of her and my Mom before they put her down. While I was in surgery, Mom left the hospital to go be with Shelby while she went to sleep. It was a really rough day on all of us. The surgery went fine, but when I woke up I was hysterical, which I guess is pretty normal, but the first thing I said was, "my dog is dead." :( I don't think the nurse knew what to say. But I had a very sweet nurse that took care of me before and after surgery, Mom says I wanted to take her home. HeHe. I was pretty out of it for a while. But I'm finally recovering, slowly.
Last Thursday was Mary's graduation. As you can imagine, it was a rough day for me. But through the tears and smiles, I made it. I'm very proud of my adopted sister, convert, Mary. Grandma and Grandpa drove over for it which meant a lot to her. Grandma made her a beautiful quilt that she carries everywhere with her like a baby blanket. But as for me, I'm going tomorrow to register for the GED test and from then on out I will work towards my diploma with the credits I have. And in the mean time I need to find a good job. It's really hard in Cedar to find a job that's not fast food, and even that can be hard to come by. But I will eventually get there :)
It's been tough in our household the last little while. With finances, emotions, illness, Shelby gone, and me not graduating. My Mom hasn't been doing the greatest with the pains in her neck and head. And my recovery has lasted longer than I anticipated. None of us are feeling too great all around. But if it weren't for the faith in my parents, we wouldn't have made it this far. My Mom has spent a lot of late nights in my bed with me when I have been crying or not felt good and I thank her for it. She has also put up with more than I think I ever could when it comes to being in pain and feeling sick. Dad has supported us 3 girls for quite a while now and it hasn't been easy for him to work full time, work in his shop, play occasional racket ball, spend a little time with us, and get a little sleep. Both of them have been so strong through all these trials and I would be nothing without their influence and support. THANK YOU BOTH!
Well that's all from me for now. Hope everyone is doing good. And congrats to Josh and Derek on graduation

4 comments:

Alison said...

You made me cry, Lyss. I was so sorry to hear about your dog. Animals have a way of working themselves into you heart, don't they? It's been two and a half years since we lost Keiko and I still get choked up when I think about her.
I'm sorry, too, for the other heartaches you've been through lately. What a beautiful tribute you gave to your parents. We love you all, and will keep you in our prayers, as we always do.
As for the GED, go for it! Finishing that will open up more doors for the future. I know you can accomplish anything you put your mind to. But know this: we will love you no matter what.

Mary said...

My little Lyssy Lou, I want you to know that I love you so much. Graduation from High School is not that important to me. I would like to see you plow forward, first by getting your GED, then finding something meaningful to do in life. Whatever you decide, your Grandma will support you all the way. I'm glad those nasty tonsils are gone and that you can now put that behind you. I went through the same thing when I was your age and after the tonsils came out, I had good health forever.

Josh said...

I'm really sorry about your dog, I know how I'd feel if something like that happened to my cat. It sounds like you've had a rough time lately, but you're sticking through it, and that's what matters. I admire your perseverance, and always know that your quiet cousin supports and loves you, no matter what. Thanks for your own support, it's always good to know there's someone that cares. So, that's all from me.
Love, Josh

Christi said...

I'm glad you felt comfortable sharing your struggles on the family blog. That's why I started this thing, so we could all know what's going on in each other's lives and support each other. Chris hurt his back again a few months ago and went through a really rough time. He was quite depressed and worried about it.
I hope you will go forward with your GED. Having an education is very important these days. It takes time but it's worth it. Not many people get too far without it these days. You can do anything you put your mind to.
I'm sorry about your dog. I was really sad when we had to put my kitty to sleep just before we got married. I love you. Hang in there. Things will get better.