Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Shaking Hands with Brother Schmidt

Most of you know that we are great admirers of Jon Schmidt and his music. We had a unique opportunity on Sunday to attend a fireside put on by him.
He played five songs, some of our favorites like Waterfall and All of Me, but the best part was his talk. It wasn't a formal talk. He just stood up and spoke from his heart. He was speaking mostly to the youth. But I was inspired by what he said. I hope you don't mind if I share a couple of things.
He admitted that when he was a teenager he hadn't felt a great need for God. He had his friends, his music, his sports. But there came a time when he realized he really needed God. Usually, he said, that time comes about the same time as the first baby. You realize you can't do this by yourself.
I could relate to that.
Since then he said he's become a lot more dependent on the Spirit and has tried to a establish a firm connection with God. How cool is that, he said, that we can have a connection with "the God of the Universe."
He even relies on the spirit in his music. Sometimes he'll come across a problem when he's writing a new song and he's found that if he'll kneel down and pray, about 50% of the time, he has the solution in his head before he's off his knees. The other 50%, he pounds it out and soon the solution comes.
I was touched by that. I know there are areas in my life where I could rely a lot more on the Spirit. He encouraged everyone to try it--in school, in work, with friends. God wants to help us. All we have to do is ask.
When he played the song, "All of Me" he talked about how he tried to give all of himself to the Lord. He's found that the Lord came make a whole lot more of his life than he, Jon Schmidt, can by himself.
Those are a few tidbits from one of the best firesides I've ever been to. Afterward, the kids went up and shook his hand. Josh told "Brother Schmidt" he'd been a big inspiration in Josh's piano playing.
That night Jon Schmidt was a big inspiration in lots of other ways, too.

1 comment:

Christi said...

That's really cool. I love that. That is one thing I am constantly working on. . . relying on the Lord in all things. It's obvious to pray for the big things but lately I have had to pray for the small things too. Like last night when I was trying to get Jack to sleep. I fed, swaddled and rocked him which usually works. He just kept getting fussier and fussier. I finally said a small prayer and the answer was not something I would have thought. "Just put him down in his bed." I did that and he fell right to sleep. The little things.