Monday, May 25, 2009

A Tale of a Bird

Sunday morning was the same as always here at the Lowe household. I was getting up with Michael and getting the kitchen ready for the usual Sunday morning pancakes. Michael was heading into the living room to dig into his toys when I heard the scratching sound. It sounded as though it was coming from behind the TV. At first I was alarmed, thinking it was a mouse but then the fluttering sound made me realize it was a bird. My shoes were already on my feet, Michael was scooped up in my arms and we were headed outside to see if there was a birds nest in the chimney. I couldn't see any trace of a nest up there, and then there was the noise again. We stood there together pondering where the sound was coming from. When we came back inside, I remembered the hole above the TV. Its something we covered up, where a wood burning stove would hook into. I tapped on the board we had covering it and the fluttering and scratching sounds went nuts.
"Babe, babe!" I shouted, as I ran into the bedroom to wake Brendon. "I think there is a bird stuck in our chimney!"
"Are you serious?" was his reply.
After a quick bite to eat, we went to work on moving the TV, and pulling the wall apart. We hadn't heard any fluttering in a while, so we wondered if he got out. Up the ladder we went to the rooftop to see inside the chimney if our bird friend was still there. Looking down the dirty pipe, covered in spiderwebs, we saw him looking up at us almost as if asking, "Please help me!?"

The birdie then started trying to fly out and when we looked back down the pipe...... he was gone. The only logic conclusion was that he was now in the house. After Brendon and I exchanged worried looks, we took off back to the ladder to get back in the house. As I watched Brendon climb back down we both heard a loud THUD!
"I think that was the bird hitting the window." Brendon exclaimed.
When we both got into the house, sure enough the bird was flying wildly around crashing into all the windows, trying to escape.
"What do we do?" I asked Brendon.
"Catch It!" was his immediate reply.
Duh I thought to myself, what else would we do. The bird then flew into the living room window and latched onto the curtains. It was then that I was able to make my catch.
The poor little thing was scared stiff, and a little black from being stuck in the chimney pipe. After snapping a few pictures he flew off into the trees. Hopefully he won't get stuck in anymore chimneys.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Taylor:
I thoroughly enjoyed your tale of the bird. Nothing exciting like that ever happens to us. We are pretty boring.

Alison said...

Poor thing. I hope it wasn't too traumatized.