Saturday, May 8, 2010

Recipe

The other day I was asked to take a casserole to a funeral--just something with meat in it. Since I don't make casseroles very often I purused my cook books and found one that looked doable. I set about my task and placed a small bowl in front of my husband for a taste test. He declared it
"good" so I took the remainder to the funeral. The refreshment committee said there weren't too many funeral participants and I would probably get half of it back. The dish came back empty! The next day someone called and asked for my recipe. I guess it passed the test but I wouldn't recommend making a casserole for a funeral without testing it yourself first. Anyway, here it is:

CHICKEN AND PASTA CASSEROLE

3 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast
8 oz thin spaghetti
4 T butter
4 T flour
1 C cream
1 C chicken broth
1 C mayonaise
1 C sour cream
1 can Cream mushroom soup
1 C Parmesan cheese, grated
1/8 C lemon juice
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp salt
8 oz fresh mushrooms

Cook chicken and cut into bite-size pieces. Set aside. Break spaghetti into thirds and boil in chicken stock. Melt butter and add flour to make a white sauce. Add cream and chicken broth. Stir carefully until thickened and then add sour cream, mayonaise, Parmesan cheese, mushroom soup, lemon juice and spices. Saute fresh mushrooms in butter then add to sauce mixture. Add chicken and spaghetti; mix thoroughly. Pour into large casserole dish. Sprinkle top with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes or until heated thoroughly. (Note: I used crushed potato chips on top instead of the cheese but either would be good)

No comments: