Friday, May 28, 2010

Update on ward "split"

Just in case you were wondering, we met with our new/old ward for the first time on Sunday. We only had sacrament meeting which was good, because the Bishop stood up and said, "anyone who wasn't released because of the split is now hereby released." So, although the 7th ward has been an existing ward for awhile, they're starting from scratch in staffing it. Jeff was called as Young Men's president. He was sustained on Sunday. I was just called on Wednesday to be a gospel doctrine teacher. One of three. Sounds slightly cushy, doesn't it?
The big surprise of the day--our ward is bigger than the last ward we were in. You call this a "split?" I was thinking as the ward filled the cultural hall and the deacons almost ran out of water. Since we only had Sacrament Meeting we had a Linger Longer afterwards where refreshments were served, the object being to help us get to know each other I guess. Not sure it worked. But I did hear that one neighbor girls said, "I like this new ward. Do we get treats every week?"
In other news, I spent almost all night (until 4:30 am) last night helping out with "grad night" at our new high school. I found myself intensly jealous, wishing I'd had some kind of fun party like that with my classmates as our last hurrah. They played games, went bowling and laser tagging for two hours, had an "amazing race" through the high school, complete with challenges both mental and physical, tons of junk food, prizes (like a Blue Ray player), breakfast cooked by the city council of Eagle Mountain and more. Lots of fun, even for the old fogeys who stayed up to help. We all (includig the kids) were dead on our feet by the end.
I need a nap.

2 comments:

Mary said...

I'm so happy you are still a Gospel Doctrine teacher!!! And how did you get rooked into helping with the senior graduation party? Was it because of Peter? He is a senior, isn't he? Anyway, it sounded like fun.

Mary said...

Are you meeting in the same church?