Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Dueling Rhubarb Strawberry Crunch

This is what I like to make when I have rhubarb. I have to buy mine here. I tried planting one but it never produced much then eventually died. Funny story about buying rhubarb. I went into my regular store one time to buy some rhubarb. I had seen it there before but didn't see any this time. I asked the guy stocking the produce section if they had any. He said scratching his head, "rhubarb, rhubarb". I could tell he had no idea what I was talking about. I told him it kind of looks like "red celery". He walked over to where it should be and started inspecting the shelves. "Nope! No red celery here." And that was all the answer I got. . .

I did make S/R Pie for dinner Friday night because we had guests and I think that's my favorite kind of pie.

Rhubarb Strawberry Crunch

3 cups diced rhubarb* 1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup sliced fresh strawberries 1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup white sugar 1 cup butter
3 Tbs flour 1 cup rolled oats

Mix together 1 cup white sugar and 3 Tbs flour. Mix in the strawberries and rhubarb until well mixed.
Mix together brown sugar, 1 1/2 cups flour, butter and oats until crumbly. You may want to use a pastry blender for this. Crumble on top or rhubarb/strawberry mixture.
Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 45 minutes.

*It's been awhile since I made this but I am pretty sure I have used 2 cups rhubarb and 2 cups strawberries.
Note: the "crisp" to fruit ratio is probably 3:1. It's a very crisp-heavy dessert and I like it!

1 comment:

Alison said...

Sounds good. I'll have to try it.
I think strawberry rhubarb pie is my favorite of all pies, too.