Tuesday, September 4, 2012

A Trip to Grandfather Mountain

We decided to end our summer with a trip to the Blue Ridge Mountains. We rented a cabin for a few days and stayed in a place called Boone, yes, it's name comes from Daniel Boone.
 This is the view I woke up to on the first morning. I litteraly took this picture from my room!
 One of the main attractions in Boone is Grandfather Mountain. We had many options for hikes.
 At the end of this hike was a huge boulder. There was a ladder and a rope attached. Kennedy and I couldn't resist. We climbed the rock while Chris waited nervously at the bottom with both boys. When we got to the top I insisted they make their way up. It was beautiful!

It felt like we were on top of the world. My camera doesn't do it justice. The sight was breathtaking. I told my kids to take a mental picture because that is pure beauty.


Here is the "Swinging Bridge" at Grandfather mountain. The bridge is exactly one mile above sea level. We didn't stay here long because it had been raining and the bridge and the rocks were slippery. I saw a man slip and almost fall off the mountain!

On our last day we took the kids fishing at a stocked pond. They had a great time. Chris helped them all catch a fish. Here is Jack, so proud of his first fish. The most amazing thing about this is that he even ate some and said he liked it. If you know how picky he is you will understand why that is so amazing!

2 comments:

Mary said...

What great pictures!!! I love the ones of the "mountains", remembering the time we spent with you there. Also, the kids going to school and participating in the Wizard of OZ.

Alison said...

Looks like a lot of fun. Beautiful, too.