Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Golden Ratio

So, Rachel and I decided long ago that during my freshman year, she and I would take a class together, because there may never be another chance for us to do so. And so it was that both of us enrolled in a History of Creativity class to fulfill a civilizations credit, and a brother/sister credit. We take the class on mondays, and its a two and a half hour monster. Anyway, for the midterm, there was a "do-at-home" creativity assignment to make a work of art using the Greek golden ratio (1.618...), and write a short paper explaining how it uses the golden ratio and to examine whether or not this stipulation inhibited or promoted creativity. At first, Rachel and I kind of misunderstood the assignment to mean make a painting that uses the golden ratio. So, the sibling pair dutifully headed to Wal-Mart to purchase the necessary supplies (kid paint, brushes, and some card stock paper) needed to match our artistic prowess against the Greeks. When we got back to Rachel's apartment, we reread the assignment, and sharply realized that it was not required of us to make a painting. Such joy radiated across our faces upon this realization, for neither of us quite captures the Greek standard of beauty in our bright kid paint portraits. Not wanting to waste a voyage to Wal-Mart or perfectly good painting supplies, we spent the remainder of the evening brushing up on our kid painting abilities. It reminded me just how little I've improved since kindergarten. Oh, and our assignment? You can see just how they turned out (can you guess who they belong to?).

5 comments:

woodshopron said...

I didn't have a clue what the Greek golden ratio is. So I googled it. Now it is perfectly clear to me what it is.... or not.

Lyssa said...

I wanna see your paintings... I like Rachel's assignment better I think ;) Can't say I understood half of what you were talking about though! Thanks for posting!

BubandTay said...

I agree with Lyssa!

Christi said...

Very creative. I hope you both get an A.

Alison said...

Very nice pictures, especially considering the fact that it was snowing at the time. And you didn't even tell anyone that. It makes your accomplishment all the more impressive.