Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Calling all slackers

Boy, what a bunch of slackers we've been lately. Notice I said we. I'm including myself in that. I know things are happening out there. Let's hear 'em.
I'll put in my two bits, but first,
Happy Birthday, Dad.
I'll tell you about my forum experience last week. It was an annual Forum on Children's literature at UVU and this year I was asked to do a workshop, which meant I didn't have to pay to attend. Score! The key note speaker was Shannon Hale. She's a Newberry Honor winning children's writer from Salt Lake and is very entertaining to listen to.
My workshop went pretty well. I talked about finding inspiration in true sories and used my picture book and short stories as examples.
It was nice to get out and meet lots of great people. The bookstore sold a few of my books, too, so I guess I made a few dollars. Not a bad way to spend two days.
On Sunday we found out that our stake is splitting. That probably means the end of my calling, which is kind of sad. I've enjoyed it and learned a ton. But maybe it's time for someone else to have some fun. I'll know more next week.

2 comments:

Christi said...

How fun to listen to Shannon. Have you read her latest? It's kind of funny. She has quite a sense of humor, I'm sure. That's fun that you got to do your own workshop. . .you are famous!

Alison said...

Do you mean the graphic novel? The girls got it for Christmas. A sequel called, "Calamity Jack" will be coming out some time--fall maybe.