Sunday, November 15, 2009

Fairy Wings and Other Things

Yesterday was Kennedy's birthday party. We went with a fairy theme and I must say, I think I had as much fun as the girls did. I decorated our front room (luckily there is no furniture yet) with flowers and garlands and a muslin canopy to make things look festive. It was hard to take a picture of it but here is one corner. (It looked better in real life. This picture doesn't do it justice.)




As the guests arrived we started off making our own fairies out of wooden clothespins, coffee filters and markers. Then we went on a treasure hunt. Thanks to mom all the clues were clever and I think it was the highlight of the party. Of course, the best thing about a treasure hunt is the treasure at the end. What did these little fairies find?



WINGS!!!




Who doesn't like wearing wings at a fairy party? I even sported some.





After the excitement of the hunt we had a bite to eat. You know, fairy food: strawberries, blueberries, mini muffins, cherry Sprite and a fairy's favorite. . . .red Jell-O! How do I know fairies like red Jell-O? I read the kids a book while they were eating called, "Alice the Fairy". As we read about Alice we discovered she is a temporary fairy who wants to learn how to change her bath water into . . . .red Jell-O!




After our little feast we made "fairy dust" (glitter, sprinkles and birdseed). Attached was a poem that read:


Make a wish, turn around, throw your fairy dust on the ground. Wait a day you will find only sprinkles left behind. The idea being that the "fairies" would be attracted by the shimmery sprinkles and eat the birdseed. Hope it works! One little girl said, "Mrs. Kelsey, are there REALLY fairies?"


What's a birthday party without a game of "bula bula"? I know we always played that game at my parties. The item we hid was, you guessed it, a fairy.


Kennedy had fun opening her presents but she got an extra surprise in one of the gifts. Kennedy pulled a box out of a gift bag. The fairies in the circle around her leaned in to see what the gift was. Just then a great big wolf spider crawled out of the box and the girls all gasped and stepped back as Kennedy threw the box on the ground! We had to call on the daddy fairy at that point! I don't know why none of us thought to use our magic wand!











2 comments:

Mary said...

Wow!What an awesome party. I almost felt like I was there with your expert coverage. It sounded like a little girl's dream party alright.

Alison said...

Sounds like an amazing party. She won't forget that one.