Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Wood Wisperer




I have something in common with Grandma Mary, we hear things. Inanimate objects speak to us. Only difference is with her it is fabric or quilts. With me it is wood. This piece of cedar wood has been shuffled around on the floor of my shop for the past two years, just inches away from being firewood. A couple of weeks ago I got a text from my son asking what he could give his wife for their fifth wedding anniversary that was made from wood. Who knew that wood was the theme for the fifth? Not me. "A Clock"? Was my quick reply. "Sure" was his reply. So I was walking around the shop wondering what style of clock to do when this piece of wood yelled up at me, "I want to be a clock". "You"? I asked. "But you have been close to firewood a hundred times". "Come on, give me a chance", was its reply. So, as you can see from the picture, I gave it a chance. The other one with the little drawer in it I am going to try and sell on this web site that I am on with the Cedar city artisans. Let me know if any other of you family members hear things like Mom and I do. P. S. Sorry it is laying on its side, my computer locks up when I try to rotate.

4 comments:

Christi said...

That's really cool and how romantic of your son to think ahead for his anniversary. We just noticed that next week is our anniversary. Thirteen years! Somehow our calendar gets so full that we tend to forget those important dates!
Oh and yes, I hear voices too at all hours of the day and night. . .but they are real voices no inanimate objects here.

Mary said...

That's scarey, that I passed the whisperer effect on to my offspring. But then, the results are good. See if you can get some more wood to talk to you and come up with something for Mother's Day. Can't you hear something screaming "Grandma Mary"?

Alison said...

You're an artist, Ron. Just don't go chopping off your ear like Van Gogh did.
Voices, yes I hear them. They come out of thin air though and want to be part of a story.

Tyff said...

Those are so cool dad! I'm telling you that shelf you made us keeps saying "I'm lonely...I need some friends like a coffee table and some end tables would be nice too...!" :P