Thursday, March 6, 2008

Face Lift

I have been working at Patches and Pieces now for six years. I am a fixture! In that time I have watched it change hands and I am still there. The new owner relies on me for my "expert" advice and never-ending attempt to keep the customer quilts moving through the long-arm quilting machine. We have become comfortable in our roles until a rumbling at the mouth of the canyon upset the balance. Michelle McNeil owns the Rockhouse Quilt Store up there and she has suddenly decided to give Patches and Pieces a little competition. She has ordered megabolts of fabric and is offering classes, block-of-the-month club, retreats, and long-arm quilting with a GRAND OPENING on the 7th of April. (She incidentally offered me a job with a sizeable increase in pay. I decided I couldn't accept her offer in good conscience. ) Jackie cries every day. I finally said, "Jackie, you need to get a jump on her. What you need to do is give this place a face lift and I know just the person to do it. " Of course, I was thinking of Linda Healy and her son, Will. They are the ones who transformed our home with paint and texture. Jackie went right to the phone and had Will there the next day. Today the cottage cheese ceiling went bye-bye and tomorrow the paint begins. We are closing for two days for the transformation. I can hardly wait to see what happens. It will be refreshing. We are planning a "Make-over" sale for the 29th & 30th of March. We can play the game, too!

2 comments:

Lyssa said...

YAY i can't wait to come to work with you in a face lifted quilt shop! you can teach me something, i'm obviously way behind in the world of sewing

Alison said...

Can't wait to see the face lift. Apparently a little competition can be a good thing. And I don't think Jackie needs to worry. She has you!