Sunday, August 3, 2008

Arm in a Sling

Amy Jo Beaumont was giving the lesson in RS today and she had her mother come to the front and place her arm in a sling. She asked, "If my mother wore this sling for six months, would she be able to use her arm when she removed it?" Of course the answer was "no" and then she related it to our service in the church. She was looking at me when she said that. This morning the Bishopric called me to be the piano player for RS. Talk about having my arm in a sling!!!! Since I returned from the Philippines I have played my piano maybe once. That adds up to seven years of having my arm in a sling. I had even talked to my spouse about getting rid of the thing. (the piano, that is) What happened to that conviction I acquired in the Philippines that it is so important to develop your talents because you never know when you might need them? I don't know--I guess I sorta became side-tracked for a while. I have now added a 15-20 minute piano practice to my daily "to-do" list. I'll have that arm back in shape in no time. Haven't I heard it said, "It's like riding a bike--once you learn how, you never forget"? We'll see!

1 comment:

Alison said...

With all you have had going on, I would have been amazed if you had practiced all these years. I'm sure it won't take you long to get it all back, though.