Saturday, August 23, 2008

Big as a soccer ball

Two weeks ago, my garden-weary husband came into the house all excited. " Guess what? I found a watermellon", he shouted. He had planted a couple of watermellon seeds that someone had given him and they had produced big vines but so far no watermellon. "It's as big as a walnut", he continued. Oh great! That's going to be fun eating a walnut sized watermellon. But the next day he reported, "Now it's as big as a golf ball". The next day it had graduated to a tennis ball and then a grapefruit. Finally, two weeks later it had grown to soccer ball size. "This I've got to see", says I and, sure enough, he was telling the truth. I can't believe that a watermellon could grow that fast but there it was. Very interesting! Last night he came running in with a report of a sighting of two more walnuts. Does this guy have too much time on his hands, or what?

3 comments:

Christi said...

That's exciting. My watermellons died before they got in the ground. My neighbor gave me three or four seedlings with "walnuts" already on them but they didn't take. We sure have had a lot of tomatoes though. I wish you were here to help eat them. We are turning them all into salsa.

Lyssa said...

This made me laugh outloud. I can just imagine grandpa doing that and being so excited about it! How fun though, I need to come stay a few days soon, there better be a juicy watermelon waiting for me :)

Alison said...

Wow! Your watermelons are doing better than ours. We have oranges--no soccer balls, yet.