Thursday, December 6, 2012

The Rising Generation


During the last conference, Elder Uchtdorf told of a nurse who cares for terminally ill patients.  She would routinely ask patients if they had any regrets.  Responses were grouped into three categories, 1) I wish I had spent more time with the people I love, 2) I wish I had lived up to my potential and 3) I wish I had let myself be happier.  Two of my regrets, not that I’m terminally ill or anything, clearly fall into the second category.  They are, 1) I wish I would have achieved Eagle Scout during my youth and 2) I wish I would have earned an Intramural Basketball Championship T-shirt during my 4 years at BYU.  Of course, once I turned 18, the opportunity to achieve Eagle was forever gone.  Once I graduated from BYU, the opportunity to earn a championship T-shirt permanently slipped away.  The next best thing is to live your life through your children, right?  Both boys earned Eagle.  Admittedly, Kristin helped them far more than I did but I at least provided encouragement along the way.  As of last night, both boys, along with Josh, are proud owners of a BYU Intramural Championship T-shirt.   The three of them, plus two of Josh’s friends played on a 3 on 3 basketball team and they won their division.  As I congratulated Derek last night, I reiterated my disappointment I didn’t have similar success.  Derek consoled me by reminding me both he and Jared share half of my DNA.  Let’s see, two sons times 50% DNA equals one, so I in essence finally won my coveted championship T-shirt.  I know, keep dreaming.  I’m sure the boys, as well as my daughters, will continue to plow their own way in life and accomplish things I never even dreamed of.  I don’t actually live my life through my children, but I am without a doubt one of their biggest fans!       

4 comments:

woodshopron said...

K, so how do 5 guys play on a 3 on 3 team? I'm no math major but I did pass trig, algebra and calculus for electronics. 5 is not = to 3. Just wondering!

woodshopron said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary said...

Congratulations to my three Wonderful Grandsons for their GREAT achievement. Wish I could have been there to cheer you on.

Alison said...

So that's the prized T-shirt. I told Josh that maybe he'd better frame it instead of wear it.