Thursday, December 20, 2012

Uses for Brown Sugar

I can think of so many brown sugar recipes it's hard to narrow it down to one. I do love chocolate chip cookies and that is one of my favorite things to bake. There's also Maple and Brown Sugar Overnight Oatmeal. I really like Aunt Londi Cake from the Chinaberry cookbook but I would say that the recipe I have made most and the recipe my family likes most is Hot Fudge Cake. I know I have shared this with you before so sorry for the repetition, but this is my go-to recipe when we have need of a last minute dessert or just a little comfort. Top this hot cake with a dollop of whipped cream or better yet, ice cream and it's a little bit of heaven in a bowl.

HOT FUDGE CAKE

1 cup flour                                          
¾ cup sugar
6 Tbs. baking cocoa, divided             
2 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt                                           
½ cup milk
2 Tbs. vegetable oil                            
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup packed brown sugar                 
1 ¾ cups hot water
Whipped cream or ice cream

In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, 2 Tbs. cocoa, baking powder and salt. Stir in the milk, oil and vanilla until smooth. Spread in an ungreased 9 inch square baking pan. Combine brown sugar and remaining cocoa; sprinkle over batter. Pour hot water over all; do not stir. Bake at 350 for 35 - 40 minutes. Serve warm. Top with whipped cream or ice cream.

No comments: