Thursday, March 11, 2010

There's no place like home

Jared's recovery has shifted from the confines of a hospital room to the confines of home sweet home. Jared isn't going to bust out of here anytime soon. Jared and Kristin returned home yesterday. Jared has a pick line in his arm so that antibiotics can be administered to Jared at home. Last night, a nurse came to our house and trained Kristin how to inject saline and antibiotics into Jared via the pick line. Kristin has to administer the medicine three times a day. The doctor told Jared he could return to school after spring break. Fortunately, spring break starts on Monday. Jared is still dealing with a fair amount of pain, but he improves each day. We are now dealing with the details of recovery. We are in the middle of a saga surrounding his crutches. At 6'8", Jared is a "tweener". The initial set of crutches were too short, though they were perfect for me. The second set of crutches were too big, probably for patients 6'10" and above. Out of frustration, an administrator from Cooks called the Dallas Mavericks and asked, "where do you find crutches for your players". A supplier was identified and new crutches are on order. Hopefully, we'll be able to pick up the crutches on Monday. Jared appreciates everyone's love and concern. He especially appreciates the many prayers in his behalf. Lost in all of Jared's drama is Kristin. She has been by Jared's side through the entire ordeal and has been on an emotional roller coaster as she watched Jared fluctuate between having good days and bad days. Kristin is exhausted and the first thing she said to me when she got home was, "I'm overwhelmed". Kristin is a rock and I can't think of a better care giver for Jared than Kristin. She too is coming out of the fog and things are starting to resemble normalcy in our household. What would we do without Kristin! Thanks everyone for your thoughts, prayers and love.

4 comments:

Lyssa said...

Wow it's so good to hear he's home. I can't believe how tough this whole thing has been on him and you guys. And I can't believe the crutches ordeal! That made me giggle. Anyway, tell Kristin she is incredible. She resembles what every loving mother should be. I love you all and send Jared my love too. He is one tough cookie

Mary said...

Thanks for the post, Steve. I've thought the same thing about Kristin. As a mother I can relate to what she has been going through and I know what a brick she is. When you have a child who is hurting, a mother would rather change places with him/her than watch the suffering. I love you, Kristin as well as the rest of your family. You are my hero! Jared, keep plugging on--it can only get better. We love you.

Christi said...

I'm glad Jared is home now. I can't imagine what Kristin has been through for her to say that she is overwhelmed. I wish I could do something to help. I would bring dinner over in a heartbeat or come do a few loads of laundry if I didn't live so far away. Love you all!

Alison said...

Thanks for the update. We were wondering if he was home yet. I can only imagine how tough that has been for all of you, especially Kristin staying with him day after day. My anxiety would have been through the roof.