Sunday, February 17, 2008

Dessert Club

When Chris and I lived in Wymount and were in the BYU 1st ward, we participated in a monthly dessert club. Whoever was interested would sign up at church and someone would make the three-family assignments. One family would host, another family would bring the dessert and the third family just came along for the fun. We really enjoyed the system but we have never lived in another area where the dessert club would work.
However, I propose that we have a monthly dessert club on our blog. I have posted two yummy dessert recipes here as a start. If you are interested, please comment on this post and I will make a list of monthly assignments. Also indicate your preference as to how often you would like a recipe posted (monthly, weekly, bi-weekly, etc.) and what type of recipes you would want (desserts only, random, etc.).

Ed’s Carmelattas

32 Kraft caramels*
10 Tbls whipping cream
3/4 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup rolled oats, quick cooking
1 cup flour
1 tsp soda
6-oz chocolate chips
1/2 - 1 cup chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 350°. Melt caramels in cream in double boiler. Set aside. Mix melted butter, sugar, flour, oats and soda. Divide mixture in two parts. Pour half mixture in square pan. Bake 10 minutes.

Remove from oven. Put chocolate chips on top, along with nuts and
melted caramels. Top with the other half of the mixture. Bake another
15 - 20 minutes.

*I have successfully substituted caramel ice cream topping for the melted caramels and whipping cream. I have found that I am more likely to have topping on hand than caramels. Both taste good with this recipe.

Chocolate Cherry Cake

1 chocolate fudge cake mix
2 eggs
1 tsp almond extract
21 oz can cherry pie filling

Mix above ingredients. Pour into 9x13 pan. Bake @ 350 for 20-30 minutes.
Let cool completely. Frost with following recipe:

1 cup sugar
1/3 cup milk
1/3 cup butter
Heat until butter melts. Add 1 cup chocolate chips. Stir until melted. Pour over cake.

2 comments:

Mary said...

I'm game for the dessert club. Just give me an assignment and I will contribute. Mary

Alison said...

Sounds fun. Could we do other recipes besides desserts, too? I'm always seeking a way out of my rut.