Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Tears in a Quilt Store

I looked up from my cutting table today and saw April Yardley's son, Korrey, enter the door. I asked him how he was doing and how his dad was doing. His dad was life-flighted to Salt Lake because of complications--blood clots in his lungs. He responded that he was fine, then asked if his baby blanket had been hem-stitched. I found it--a little boy blanket--and gave it to him. He said he had picked it out about three weeks ago with the intent of surprising his mother with an announcement that they were expecting their first baby. His mother loved to crochet blankets for her future grandchildren. He looked down at it and said, "I don't know how it will get done now because my wife doesn't know how to crochet". Then he brightened up and recounted that they had called his mother the night before she died and relayed the happy news. To this he added, "We just found out that we're having twins". I started to cry, mostly because April would have loved to spoil a set of twins.

1 comment:

Alison said...

Oh, that makes me want to cry, too.