Sunday, June 27, 2010

Fight or Flight-a Memory from High School

In high school I was fortunate to have a really good group of friends. Our main circle consisted of me, two or three other girls and about eight or nine boys. We had a great time, especially our junior year.


It was spring and we were itching for school to get out. At the same time we tried to spend as much non-school time together as possible before everyone went their separate ways for summer. On one such night someone suggested we go to "Lover's Lane" and tell ghost stories.
Lover's Lane is what it sounds like, a lane. I don't know which of my friends discovered it but there is a secret little cave just to the south of the lane. We would park our cars in the lane, walk through the trees and a two or three-step climb would put us in a crevice with sheer cliffs on all sides but the opening. There is enough room for a handful of people and a small fire pit in the center--a perfect place for a night of story telling.
The sky was clear, the moon was full and it was unusually warm for spring. We lit a fire and after some creative seating we started our stories. Some were scary, some weren't. I probably told the "wrap, wrap" story of Grandpa's. Wells was from Oregon so he had a bunch of stories about Sasquatch--Big Foot, some call it. After an hour or so my friend, Wells, had to leave--he usually had an earlier curfew than most of us. Royce had come with him so he left too. That kind of broke the heavy mood that comes when you are telling stories like that.
The rest of us wanted to stay just a little bit longer. Our conversations changed from stories to the usual teenage chatter. Pretty soon I felt a wet drop on my face. I thought that was weird because last time I checked there were no clouds in the sky. I told my friends that I thought it was starting to rain. Several of us looked up at the clear sky, expecting to see rain clouds. Just then something moved at the top of the cliff. No, not moved, stood up and leaned over us. In the light of the moon we could see a tall, hairy figure stand up on its hind legs. My heart started pumping like it never has before, adrenaline came next. I knew my life was in danger. It was the only time in my life that I felt that "fight or flight" instinct. What could this beast be? Someone let out a scream. I grabbed on to the arm of the boy next to me and tried in vain to hide under him. The other two girls ran out the opening of the cave and the rest of us were trying to figure out what was going on and what we should do. Then, a laugh from above and two familiar voices--the boys that left earlier. It was a hoax.

4 comments:

Alison said...

Funny! It reminds me of a night when Cheryl and Dana were sleeping over and we were telling scary stories in bed. All of a sudden a knock sounded on my window--scared us spitless.
Take a guess which big brother was to blame.

Lyssa said...

I remember you telling me that story once. Sounds like something my Daddy would do... he's always trying to scare me and my friends, and 99% of the time it works!

talltimber said...

I confess - it was Ron. At least, I think it was because I don't remember the incident.

Alison said...

No it wasn't, Steve. It was you!