Sunday, June 20, 2010

Tribute to Dad

Me: “Dad, you don’t need to drive all the way to Enterprise just to see our game. They’re not very good and it won’t be a very good game.”
Dad: “I know. I want to go anyway just so I can see you play.”

And so it went for the years I played basketball. Dad was my biggest fan. He wasn’t as loud as Uncle John. He didn’t keep stats like Roger Don’s mom. He didn’t take pictures that were keepers (maybe ceiling shots have some aesthetic value to someone somewhere), but he was always at the games cheering me on. His dedication as a father didn’t begin or end when I played ball. I’m sure the dedication began well before I could even talk and has continued throughout my life. Basketball just happened to be a vehicle for dad to demonstrate his dedication. Thanks for always being there for me, Dad. I love you

No comments: