Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Little Orange Chicken

A while back, Mom posted a recipe called, "Little Pink Chicken." When I read Steve's request for Orange Chicken I thought about the pink one and wondered if it could be turned orange instead. I found an orange sauce reciple online. We tried this out on Monday, and I have to say, it's pretty darn good. This recipe served my family of 4 with no leftovers. Steve, I would suggest doubling it for a family that includes Jared.

Little Orange Chicken
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 tsp garlic salt
Cornstach
1 egg
1 tsp water
1 tsp fresh ginger
3 Tbsp soy sauce
3 Tbsp water
3/4 cups sugar
3/4 cups vinegar, white or rice
zest of 1 orange
juice of orange
Cut chicken breasts into chunks and sprinkle with garlic salt. Beat egg with water and ginger. Dip chicken chunks in egg mixture, then in cornstarch. Fry in hot oil until brown. Place in casserole dish. Combine soy sauce, water, sugar, vinegar, orange zest and juice. Microwave for 5 minutes, stirring halfway through. Pour over chicken and bake for 30-35 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Serve over rice.
Note: for more of a kick, add a sprinkling of hot pepper flakes to the cornstarch.

3 comments:

talltimber said...

Thanks, Christi. We'll try it and let you know how it turns out.

Alison said...

You're welcome, Ron.

talltimber said...

My bad.