Friday, June 11, 2010

Infirmary Update

Finally some good news coming out of the medical community. Jared had an appointment with the orthopedic surgeon on Tuesday. The doctor cleared Jared from all restrictions. The news came exactly 3 months sooner than expected. Jared was thrilled. To celebrate, he went to open gym at the high school and played pick up basketball. Wednesday night, he played in his first game. Last night, he played in his second. I went to both of his games. As expected, Jared is out of shape. His timing is a little off. His shot is a little off, but not too bad. In his own words, he has "no vertical". Yet despite all that, he still had a decent game last night. He scored 10 points, blocked three shots and cleared 6 rebounds. The coach, who can only watch from the stands, told me he thought Jared was better than he expected. Jared has a long way to go to get back into basketball shape, but at least he is able to start. Jared plans to work hard this summer to put on a few pounds and to get into basketball shape.
Speaking of basketball shape, I played on Tuesday and either the group I am playing with is getting younger, or I'm getting older. Actually, it is both. There are a bunch of recent college grads who have joined us and I'm the token old man. After me, the next oldest is 31. I survived, but like Jared, I'm out of shape, my timing is off, my shot is off and I have no vertical. Yet despite all that, I had fun. I'll put a fork in it when the game stops being fun!

3 comments:

Christi said...

That is good news indeed!

Mary said...

I'm glad Jared is back in the game. Your dad talked to the Bunkers yesterday and found out that Travis will be here all summer helping kids with their basketball skills. I'm sure he would be happy to work with Jared if he decides to come to Utah.

Alison said...

Great news. Too bad the doctor's crystal ball wasn't working so Jared couldn't get signed up for a BYU basketball camp.