Monday, September 1, 2008

Final Goodbye

Priesthood opening exercises is not usually a place to express one's creativity. However, every once in a while, a youth or an adult will find a way to break the monotony. Such was the case nearly eight years ago. A youth in our ward was leading the music for the last time (the following week, he and his family moved to Utah). The young man was known to have quite a sense of humor. As his final musical selection, he chose to sing hymn #2, "The Spirit of God". With a twinkle in his eye but with a deadpan look on his face, he slowed the hymn down to a snails pace. We sang ALL FOUR VERSES. There is nothing more painful than singing that hymn as if it were a death march. The young man didn't crack a smile. He didn't let on that he was playing a trick on all of us. I am not sure everyone picked up on his humor, but I couldn't help chuckling to myself. What a way to exit!

I shared this story with Derek prior to his last time playing the piano for Priesthood opening exercises. On the surface, I shared this story for Derek's amusement. Deep down, I was throwing down the gauntlet; "Derek, see if you can top that". I kind of forgot about my unsaid challenge to Derek. Fast forward to Priesthood opening exercise. When my counselor announced we would sing hymn number 106, "God Speed the Right", I didn't think anything of it. It took about one measure before I realized Derek had accepted my challenge. He played the hymn at triple speed. We sang all three verses in the time it usually takes to sing one verse. Once again, I couldn't help but chuckle to myself. Derek, what a way to exit!!

1 comment:

Christi said...

Derek is funny. Sure love his sense of humor!